Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy 30th Birthday! Off to Miami

How many times can I say how amazing my husband is and how lucky I am that I have him in my life? Not enough, EVER! He planned a whole trip as a surprise for my 30th birthday, this past Saturday. I knew there was a trip but I didn't know where to. We both definitely needed a break from our regular lives. The house work and the regular stuff just needed to be left behind for a few days. My parents were amazing to come down on the 11th and help us with a lot of housework. As you may have seen in the pictures we are cruising right along for our move in date. My father continued to work on the house when we were on our trip, and the result is a beautiful hardwood floor.


Well back to the trip, Friday morning we left for our 6am flight and that's when I found out we were going to MIAMI! There were a few little hints here and there that I thought Miami was one of the top possibilities. Oscar kept joking we were going to St. Louis. I have nothing against St. Louis, but it's not really where I wanted to escape to. We had such a great time just relaxing and doing whatever we wanted. We slept in EVERY morning until 9am at least! I mean seriously do you know the last time I slept in? We did lots of stuff and ate lots of food. We visited Oscar's Aunt and Uncle and his Great Aunt, we went to Calle Ocho and drank lots of cortaditos (Oscar is now re-addicted to coffee), we walked South Beach, we snorkled on our drive to Key West, and canoed among the mangroves, we cuddled on the beach at night, rented bikes to see Key West, ate at the Taste of Key West, and just enjoyed being Jenn and Oscar. Just when you think you know someone pretty perfectly he does one thing that surprises you. For instance, I KNOW Oscar is not a person who enjoys the public spectacle restaurants can make of someones birthday. So I was pretty sure I dodged the bullet on having a group of waiters come and sing the loudest Happy Birthday...NOPE! We enjoyed a yummy cuban meal at Versailles on Calle Ocho, we ordered dessert and then it happened. Five waiters and waitresses came over singing Happy Birthday Panchita to me! Now I'm sure you can all imagine what shade of red I became. But it was really sweet and totally unexpected.


The girls were well taken care of by Nahnah and Pahpah though I'm pretty sure Nahnah and Pahpah are going to retreat the Upstate NY and sleep for several days straight. Both girls took this trip a little badly. As soon as Nahnah and Pahpah arrived Luli just wasn't herself, acting really snotty and mean. I really couldn't believe her behavior and it apparently continued for 1-2 days while we were gone. Fiona on the other hand is our "feeler" and apparently she did a lot of crying and cuddling the last 2 days of the trip. The girls definitely tried to push Nahnah and Pahpah to see what they could get away with and I think getting away with things lasted a short period. They are amazing little ladies but they can be difficult if they want to be.


Now that we are home I'm really enjoying being with my girls. Luli ran in our room at 6am and showered us with hugs and kisses and then cuddled and laid with us until Fiona ran in at 7am and showered us with more hugs and kisses and we all cuddled. Today we took a trip to the library for new books and have enjoyed reading and playing together. They've been in good spirits. I think once the house is finished and we move the transition time will be over and they'll settle down. It's a lot going on for them right now and they are trying to process it all.






No comments: