Sunday, April 11, 2010

A lot to catch up on!!!

Ok so the blog has not been priority one lately. There are multiple reasons for this the biggest two are my job, and the weather. I also have so many posts planned in my head that it seems a bit daunting to start it. For example this post was supposed to be something about it being my 200th blog post, who knows how many posts I did on the website www.lourdesjoli.net. But it's not, so we're moving forward and going to play catch up. I guess I'll chat up the job here first and then get to the other posts today and this week...

The job is going well. I'm working hard at it and trying to do the best I can. I came into the position only to find that the woman prior to me had basically not done any of her job in the months that she was there. I found stacks of hundreds of discipline reports hidden in different places. I had to input them all into the students records, sometimes write letters home (some of them were too old to write letters home about) and then alphabetize and file. Sounds like fun, right?! Well it was work, and they paid me overtime, so that's good! People seem relatively pleased with my work and I think in the end it'll help me find a teaching position. It is kind of hard to be in a job day in and day out watching other people do the job you really want to do. But I'm biding my time and taking whatever learning experiences come from this job to help my teaching. You may not think there could be too much from this job that would change my teaching, but you'd be surprised.

Have I given details on this job? Hmmm, well I'm basically the discipline Admin Assistant, so I see all the disciplinary incidents that happen in the school, input all the incidents in the records, write the letters home, get them translated if need be (another thing no one else had done), and other office duties. There seems to be the same kids getting in trouble, but it's not just the same kids, it's the same teachers sending the kids out. At some point the teacher needs to adjust how they interact with the student...now I know there are some bad seeds but they can't all be that way. And frankly a lot of them are very sweet and respectful to me when I deal with them. I'm a firm believer in respect begets respect. Anyway, there's a trend. And there are a LOT of teachers that NEVER write any incident reports and they have these kids too...so?

The people at work are really lovely. I have a lot of fun and really enjoy being in the school. I do not enjoy waking up at 5:25am though. I don't see the girls in the morning at all, though rumor has it Luli wakes up just after I leave. "Someone" says when I close the door it wakes her up. Oh well, can't leave it open! The girls had a bit of an adjustment period, but seem to be doing really well now. Luli used great communication to tell me how she was feeling and it was a bit heartbreaking. I felt really badly for her, but at the same time I did not feel guilty for going back to work. Now they are great, back to their old selves. They go to school and off to the sitter. It's a lot more work for Oscar bringing them to school, then picking them up and bringing them to the sitter. But it's working out really well.

Ok one post down! Happy 200th POST!

No comments: