Saturday, May 8, 2010

Who's a Bobcat?

I AM! I AM! Who has a contract Teaching position?? I DO I DO!!! It's official, I will be teaching 5th and/or 6th grade ESOL in Manassas City. I'm so excited and can't wait to get started. But it is especially nice to start the summer off knowing I have a job and I don't have to worry any more. A huge weight has been lifted! I have to take two summer courses in order to finish my ESOL endorsement by December, which takes away some of my free time that I wanted to lavish the girls with. But all in all I'll still have lots of time to play. One class will be done before the end of school in June, so that one doesn't really count. Then I'm taking Spanish for three days a week for 6 weeks in the summer. It's only half day so we'll still have the afternoons free for bowling, playdates and swimming. I am super bummed that our summer movies will probably not happen, unless the movie theater changes the days of the week it happens on this summer. But it'll be great to brush up on my Spanish.

More about the J-O-B! I had a few interviews with different administrators and everyone was very nice. I especially liked the Principal's demeanor, very straightforward. He didn't mince words and got straight to the point. I liked that, you didn't have to guess at what he meant or wonder where you stood with him. The department is really trying to get and retain a good department, and I'm super excited to be a part of it. I think the job will be very interesting. And while I do love the Middle School, I think the 5th and 6th graders will be fun, maybe even less jaded than the 8th graders can be! I got the news last Friday, and took the weekend to think about it and negotiate salary. Monday I accepted the job and have been grinning ever since (well except on Wednesday which was an especially trying day at work...). Thursday night I received my official acceptance letter in the mail. Super exciting!

I called our favorite restaurant to make reservations for Sunday brunch for this weekend, to celebrate the contract. And after I hung up I realized that Sunday was also Mother's Day! HA! So I guess we'll be celebrating that also :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen!! I havent been able to get onto your post for a few reasons, but the biggest one is beccause my old blog is gone and i have a new one. im not the most computer savvy person so I couldnt find your blog again to add it to mine!! Anywho, congratulations on your job!! What an amazing accommplishment to be hired in this economy where everyone is getting laid off. Im sooo happy fo ryou and what a relief right? Congrats in the biggest way!

kristin said...

Jen-it was kristin who wrote the last post!