Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fireworks, Neighbors and a 10k

Last night we enjoyed the big firework display for Herndon Festival. They have them on Thursday and a Saturday night of the festival, and both nights the display is pretty amazing but Saturday is certainly larger and more extravagant. The girls favorite are the fireworks with shapes, especially the hearts. Frankly I'm just impressed that you can make something explode in a certain shape. If my brain were so inclined I'd love to learn.

The girls were jazzed for fireworks since Thursday's display and they stayed up all day and night asking NON STOP when it would be time. Seriously at 2pm they were asking, umm ladies we need a little thing called NIGHT TIME! They were exhausted but they rallied. Let's recap, Thursday they stayed up until 10 for the fireworks, Friday they stayed up until 10:30 for the festival, Saturday they woke up at 6:30am and stayed up until 10pm for the fireworks. Fiona was laying on the blanket for the fireworks and I caught her eyes struggling to stay open, and as soon as the booms stopped she was OUT! Luli was still running around even though she was ridiculously tired. But this reminds me of the fact that Luli has two speeds, GO and SLEEP. There is no in between for her!

The fireworks were just another expression of how much I love our house and our neighborhood. Our front lawn has a bit of a slope to it, and frankly it's perfect for laying out a blanket and enjoying the completely unobstructed view of all Herndon Fireworks displays. Several neighbors were walking by and we invited them to pull up some lawn and join us. It was great, it was what I've been wanting from a neighborhood. Impromptu neighbor get togethers, I love it! I put the girls to bed and returned to our neighbors, we chatted for awhile and it was just great. We did stay up a bit late, which was super because Oscar was running the 10k on Sunday morning.

Which brings me to the present. Oscar ran the Herndon Festival 10k this morning. The girls and I went out to cheer him on. Man, another thing I love about our neighborhood! The race was running right by our intersection with the W&OD trail. I brought the girls out with their chairs and we waited for Oscar to come through. We were going to sit right at the end of our street but I figured Oscar would expect us there, and if we were up a little further at the trail it'd be a nice surprise to get through the finish. He did great and we cheered especially loudly for him!


Today we'll probably hit up the festival again to use up our final tickets and indulge in more unnecessary fair food. mmm fried dough!

No comments: