Saturday, June 5, 2010

Herndon Festival 2010

This weekend is the Herndon Festival. I have to tell you that this is yet another reason I love Herndon. The festival is free to enter, which is rare here in VA. The rides do cost tickets and that can run you a pretty penny. Thankfully, the girls are still small and can't ride and don't want to ride, the big ones. But every year we go to these festivals they are more and more interested in the excitement and rides. Last night I had class but Oscar took them. I called home when I was leaving campus (10:15pm) and they were just getting in bed! Luli told me everything they did, which sounded like a lot of fun but I wasn't able to understand her because she was so tired her words were not exactly clear. This morning Oscar wanted to work on the deck and lacked interest in spending another day at the fair. Me on the other hand, I couldn't wait!

The fair opened at 10 and we got there at 11am. We walked in with one of our neighbors who happened to also be going to the fair. We hit the potties and then bee-lined it for the rides. The girls rode all sorts of rides. But I do think the flying dragons were their favorites. Last year they wouldn't even go near the flying dragons at the Herndon Festival, and then at Great Escape in NY they went on a similar ride but wouldn't move the stick to go up and down, so they stayed down the whole time. THIS TIME! WOW, they were up and down more times than I could count.

After several rides, we took a break for lunch. A banana strawberry smoothie and pizza while we listened and danced to the band playing. Then it was back to the rides. Luli wanted to go on the Tiger slide, which was a big bouncy house slide, Fiona was too small so it was Luli-solo. Then we rode the merry go round and then the dragon roller coaster (which was much more gentle and fun than the roller coaster of hell we went on at Great Escape- I think my father and my backs are still sore from that one!). We called it quits after that and sealed the day with an ice cream cone. You could tell they were with me, because we each got our own...if a certain other family member were with us we would have shared.

Now we are looking forward to our front row, front lawn seats to tonight's fireworks display! You can see more of our pictures in our Summer Photo Album to the left.

No comments: