Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Making Some Changes
My neighborhood book club is a ton of fun and I love the variety of books we are reading. This month we are reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle. This book has honestly influenced me in a way very few books have. It is probably a combination of this book and the documentary Food inc. Both really discuss and show the way in which food is produced in the U.S. and problems within this system that make it less healthy.
In an effort to create a healthier life for my kids and family I am now making all of our bread at home, as well as making a concerted effort to eat as locally as possible. This is my happy little bread maker that has almost paid for itself now. Am I going to the lengths that Barbara does? No, we like fruit too much to let go of it until Summer. We are however making the most of our backyard garden and CSA from Great Country Farms. I have made a couple different tomato sauces to freeze, frozen some raw tomatoes and frozen some blanched corn from the farm. I even made peach freezer preserves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment