Wednesday, August 24, 2011

No Longer a First Year Teacher

It is hard to believe that my first year has come and gone and that I started my second year yesterday! I am so happy with the decision I made to go with the district and school I am in. I work with some really amazing teachers and I feel like I have made some great friends. My first year was not without its bumps but they were far fewer than I had been warned they'd be. My students for the most part were fantastic and really interesting to work with. The great thing about my job is that I worked with seven different teachers and co-taught with each of them. So I was never to the point of annoyance with any students, I would have had to move on to my next class before that could happen.

In the beginning of the year we had to make professional goals. I am not one who is comfortable tooting my own horn but I am really proud of myself and I want to remember that in the future. My principal felt I'd set some pretty lofty goals for myself and was concerned I would actually be able to meet them. I had planned to make the ESOL department's time used more efficiently. I worked all year on a plan and eventually it came to developing a whole class for each teacher to teach themselves. I'm so proud of the outcome and I think our productivity with our caseloads this year will really show in their scores.

I was also nominated for First Year Teacher of the Year. I didn't win but honestly it felt great to know that people did really value my teaching, my efforts and me. I was loving my first year and having fun, so to see that people responded to that meant a lot. I think this year I also gained some self confidence that I'd been lacking for awhile. And again that's something I'm really proud of myself for.

My second year is starting now and I'm really excited to put into place this new class and step up my teaching. I've thought long and hard about improvements I can make and I'm excited to dive in and do that.

No comments: