Friday, August 29, 2008

Enjoying the outdoors!

This type of weather is what makes you want to pick up and move to the Adirondacks! It's been so beautiful all week and we are certainly taking advantage.

Our days revolve around being outside and usually inside is reserved just for feeding times and naps! Yesterday and today were no different.

Yesterday we played with some balls and woke up the pool, which we do every morning (taking off the solar cover and yelling "GOOD MORNING POOL") I'm sure the neighbors love it! Then we tried the kaleidoscopes that Nahnah has kept since I brought them back from Japan 16 years ago. I moved the princess tent off the screened porch into the yard and we enjoyed some story time in there until it was too hot to handle! Then we moved on to hanging out in the pool house (Pahpah, Luli, Fiona and I), we were there for almost an hour playing house and chatting. It was a good time and really cute. As the sun started to go down it got a little chillier and we broke out the jeans and long sleeves, but remained outside and brought out some Polly Pockets to play with.



Today I hit the gym early in the morning and when I returned Nahnah and the girls were just returning from their walk. While out they gathered material to build a Fairy House, which we constructed after naptime. During snack time Nahnah had found a few things to share with the girls from my past! First up, the recorder, oh god. At first this seemed like a good idea but as the whistling continued it was clearly not a good idea. On the other hand, the two sets of my old ballet slippers were a big hit and incredibly cute. The girls have enjoyed wearing them around the house today. And it's really wonderful to see their tiny feet in my tiny shoes. I won't tell any lies, I wasn't good at ballet (this is a shock to those of you who know my grace, clearly I seem like someone well trained - HA!) these are probably the only two pairs of ballet slippers my mom has for me because I didn't stick with it!


The girls helped Pahpah tinker with the grill today. Luli and Fiona helped fasten bolts and measure widths and lengths. All in an effort to help Pahpah create a new and improved grease trap, or something. They love to help and were so happy and excited to be creating and doing something with Pahpah.
While the girls helped tinker Nahnah pulled together all of her crafty supplies and all of the gathered nature to create the perfect Fairy House. We spread out our blanket and read some books in the yard until Nahnah was all set up and ready for us. Then it was time to create. We gave the fairies a hard wood floor, a soft bed with a leaf blanket, a pine cone chair and rock table, leaf windows and even some wall decor, and a broom to help them clean. We decorated the top with moss so it would blend in and then scanned the whole yard for the PERFECT place to leave the house.
After the fairy house making, we went to the front of the house for bike riding and chalking. Everyone got their bodies traced on the driveway and then clothes drawn on. Then we took out the go-cart from Nahnah's car and tried to ride it. Luli wasn't into it until I tried to ride it, now that would have been a good picture. Unfortunately my feet were too big and kept getting caught on the wheel, which was rather annoying because I was totally into it. Then Luli was really into it and rode it around for awhile, with the assistance of a push from behind, it's hard and heavy to pedal it on her own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous time away. And you've given me several ideas to try with Sophie - I see chalk outlines and fairy houses in our future...

Josefiak Life said...

Wow! I'm tired from just reading your day!! It sounds WONDERFUL. And such great memories with their grandparents.
(We did the fairy house over Thanksgiving and Lillie and her cousin just loved it!!!)