Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hot Off the Sewing Machine

I just finished these smocks for the girls, literally just finished. I made them from the Bend the Rules book again. They took me 3 days to make, but would have been less if I didn't need to order the manual for my machine half way through. Now I have the manual and I can get all my questions answered. The smocks were my first time working with bias tape, I found it intimidating before I started but it was rather easy to do and adds a nice finish to the smock. Luli wanted to help, her dialog went like this "Mommy I wish I could help you, but I really can't. I'm just a little girl and I can't do sewing on the machine." HA! She set up her own pretend sewing area (my sewing area is in the playroom so I can be with them). She set her play ironing board as her table, and her play chop sticks as her scissors. Very creative! Anyway, I'm really please with how they came out, again I'm a novice so there are a few errors, but overall I'm happy. The book says the girls can wear them as a dress and frankly I think a cute pair of leggings and a long sleeve shirt would look rather cute with it. I have this other floral fabric that I'm tempted to make some with...maybe for a friend. After all how many smocks do you need!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am soo jealous you have a sewing machine! I want one! You really have a talent for sewing, the smocks look great!
later
e

The Santiago Four said...

Thanks! I think I might change the pockets, I just made one for my girlfriend's daughter and I like how I did her pockets.