Thursday, October 9, 2008

Making Gifts for Friends

My dear friend Monsio just added adorable twins to her family. Luli, Fiona and I went to visit Monsio, Tony, Toni Sahai, Michael, Laila and Lathan yesterday and shower them with love and gifts. I took the opportunity to learn more about my sewing machine and branch out with a few more projects. For the twins I made matching boy/girl bibs and burp cloth/lovey's. I used chenille for the burpy/lovey and let Monsio decide whether or not she'll use for burping or for something the twins can attach to. I used the Bend the Rules pattern for the bib, my first time adding snaps! But I designed the burpy/lovey myself. I'm pretty happy with how each came out.

For Toni Sahai I made her a smock/apron that she can wear while helping her Mommy make yummy Liberian food (so good!). I again made this from the Bend the Rules book, the same as the ones I made for my girls. I like the way this one came out better, mainly because of the pockets. This fabric really reminded me of Toni Sahai also, it's bright and cheery just like her.
With my limited knowledge of boys and boy stuff I was a wee bit stumped on what to make for Michael, so I decided on making the turtle from Bend the Rules. It was my first time making a stuffed animal and frankly it was tough! I had to cut up the body once and re-do it. It almost sent me to the loony bin! In the end I was pretty happy with the outcome and I learned a lot from that project.
To sweeten the deal and bring something for the very busy momma! I made her, her favorite cake...the pumpkin cake (it is one of my best). I didn't photo it but frankly tis the season for this cake and it'll get made again and again! I also made a yummy breakfast apple bread using the apples from our apple picking trip. We had a lovely visit with lots of baby holding and swing set playing! I can't wait to see those babies (and big kids of course) again soon! But wouldn't you know I forgot my camera that day! GRRR!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the turtle is cute. And so is the rest of the stuff! I love that white cord-looking stuff in the bib/loveys.

The Santiago Four said...

Thanks! The white fabric is chenille, so soft! I'm going to make our duvet out of it in a chocolate brown.

Josefiak Life said...

Wow. It all looks so great! You are super mom and a super friend.
I just love the smocks.
Your last post about Luli and Fiona's smocks finally inspired me to get the Bend the Rules book. They are too cute.

Anonymous said...

the twins had company yesterday and i enjoyed showing off their bibs and burp cloths. everyone loved it! of course, now we can't get sahai out the kitchen because she wants to model her smock.
and yes, michael loves his turtle.
i have pics from the visit that i'll be sure to send to you. i'm so glad to have a wonderful friend in you!