
I mean really, Kindergarten? Really? Oh God. This is both exciting and extremely sad for me. I remember giving birth to this beautiful (stubborn) little gal. I remember holding her teeny lil body in my arms and wondering what she'd be like at five, and what she'd be like when she went to Kindergarten. Then five seemed like a lifetime away, Kindergarten seemed like an eternity. And now it has come and gone and I have held off for so long on this post. Yes, I've been busy but I'm also in denial. My baby, my little tiny 6lb 13oz baby girl is in Kindergarten! Somehow I've blinked and five and a half years have passed. Can I just get one week to rewind and relive just one more day at each age, so I can really remember it forever? Nope, not gonna happen. So I'm moving forward, with a big proud mama smile, because my gal is in Kindergarten and she's rockin the crap out of it.

Now for awhile I had been preparing myself for missing the first day, because as you know I went back to work this year, and it was my first day with the students also. But really quickly I learned that the school I work for is freaking awesome! Some places talk the talk of being family friendly, but this place walks the walk! I wasn't going to ask for the morning off, but several co-workers told me I would be wrong to miss this and that I should ask for the time. Well I'll be damned, they let me come in late! And it was one of the most amazing moments of my life and I thank my school for allowing me to have it.

Luli was ridiculously excited...I mean you know her, she's usually a body of energy but this was 100 times more! She was ready to go to the bus at 6:30am! When it was time we walked hand in hand, the three of us (Fiona was off to her new school already). We waited for the bus and Luli told all of the kids "I'm in Kindergarten, I'm going to ride the bus." The bus came rolling down the street and my throat closed up, oh god I can't do this, I can't let my baby get in a vehicle with someone I don't know, with all the big kids, oh you're letting go of my hand, oh god I'm crying, keep it together, don't get the cry face, Luli will get upset, oh god keep it together. Man that kid just marched up those bus steps and went for it!

The bus driver told her to turn around so mommy could take a picture. And that was it. She sat in the first seat and looked out the window. I tried desperately to smile and not look emotionally twisted. She just smiled her huge smile and blew me a thousand kisses. Later that night I asked her how the bus was and she told me "at first I was nervous because I didn't know what it would be like. But when I got on and saw that the seats were comfy I was ok. Did you know I didn't wear a seat belt? And that's ok?!"
After the bus left, I was sobbing uncontrollably, Oscar held me and we walked back to the house. A few of the veteran mothers had sympathetic faces but I felt ridiculous and emotional. Oscar took the day off of work and followed the bus in to make sure she was OK and help her get settled (and bring her BAGS of school supplies.)
But now that the school year is in full swing, we've had her first parent teacher conference (yes I teared up there also).

Man this girl is doing great, she's writing sentences, she's starting to read and she loves it. I couldn't be more proud of her. And back when I was holding that lil baby in my arms my wildest dreams could not have shown me what an amazing girl she has become. Yes she's a spaz, yes she's stubborn. But she is also the kindest child, she is the most inquisitive child, she says the most amazing things. I am more proud of her every day, and I love her.
No comments:
Post a Comment