Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Feet

One of the craziest things about being a mother, is the sudden realizations that your babies are growing up and the tears that brings. It can be seeing your child sleeping at night and how big they suddenly look in their bed, noticing their pants aren't fitting the same way, feeling their weight when you carry them, or a sudden glance at them that just floods you with emotion about this incredible being you've created. I had yet another moment like this yesterday, from Luli's feet! Feet, of all things! She had fallen asleep in her chair during nap time and when I woke her she was having a tough time coming through. But her little bare feet were right there on the floor, her toes stretching and curling as she tried to wake up. I was struck by how big they've gotten over the past four years. They used to be so tiny and compared to her newborn feet they're huge. And yet still so small, she's grown so much and has so much more to grow. I was just struck with the feeling of how blessed I am to have these two amazing little girls in my life. And thinking what they will be like when their feet are as big as mine. I was thinking about all the places these little feet have taken her already, carrying her body and helping her learn. One day these little feet will carry her away, living on her own to her own life, and I won't be waking her from nap and cuddling her to help her feel better. It makes me sad to see them grow, but I'm also so amazed by them. They are really wonderful girls, their manners are blossoming and their personalities are much larger than their little bodies would make you think. So I brush off the sadness, cuddle my babies (because frankly they will be my babies until they are 100 years old, no matter what Luli says right now) and enjoy the moments of today.

2 comments:

Katie Booker said...

I can SOO relate. When Allison put her underwear on, I just cried. That was wonderful to read!!

The Santiago Four said...

Oh yea I remember the first time seeing those little buns in underwear! So adorable and so bittersweet.