One really entertaining thing that happened to us revolved around our hotel, and a local soccer team. I think it's pretty common knowledge that South Americans love futbol (soccer), I learned this may be the understatement of the year!
They have PASSION for futbol! One afternoon in Mar del Plata Oscar was sleeping, not feeling so hot, and I was working on my travel journal (mostly because someone was snoring and no sleep was going to be had by me). All of a sudden these three guys (two probably 19ish and one about 14ish) start drumming in front of our hotel, two snare drums and a bass. I'm all for street entertainment - when there is talent, but when there isn't I get annoyed, especially if it's effecting my rest time. And these three kids were NOT drummers. So annoyed I'm paying attention off and on and notice a few more people show up with large flags, and then more people, then the crowd starts singing. Now it doesn't really seem like they all know each other, but they certainly all know the song. Eventually the crowd gets rather large and blocks the street. I notice a tour bus pull up and the crowd goes BANANAS! Now they are shooting fireworks, singing like crazy, beating their drums, and acting like people did with the Beatles came to town. Getting off the bus are local soccer players who apparently won their game. It was amazing! I went from being totally annoyed at these amateur drummers to a state of awe at the passion this group had for this sport and it's athletes. I mean I'm sure the Yankees don't get this attention after a preseason game!
Monday, January 18, 2010
Argentina How I Miss You!
We are back home now and recovering from our various illnesses, thank god! I just got the album of Argentina pics up here. I also added some pics to previous postings about the trip. At that point I realized I didn't even talk about a lot of the very cool things we did while we were there. So I'm going to bring you up to speed on some of the things we saw and and loved, and what I'm in complete withdrawal of.
First thing I can't believe I forgot to talk about was the Cementario Recoletta. I guess I hadn't prepped Oscar well for this because he kept making comments about how the cemetery couldn't be this way because it's the middle of the city and there isn't any grass. Finally when he made the grass comment I realized I had clearly not told him anything about this place, other than it was a must see and Evita was there. There is no grass, it's all tombs/mausoleums/crypts (whichever is your word of choice). Some were very ornate some were simple. Some were well kept with recent additions, and some had fallen into disrepair. All together this is definitely one of my favorite places to see in Buenos Aires. We both could have spent hours walking around, taking pictures and just taking it all in. There are many photos in the album of the cemetery, but this is one of the walkways of the cemetery lined with crypts.

One of the main draws to the cemetery is that Evita Peron is "buried" here. We were wandering around and found a large group of tourists lined up to see a particular crypt. I'd read this was probably the best way of finding her. Her family crypt was not very ornate but many had left flowers for her. The most remarkable thing to me was seriously the line to just take a picture of it. There are many Presidents, military figures, and famous Argentine people here. It makes sense to get the guided tour, but a certain someone I travel with isn't keen on getting guided tours.
While we were walking to the Cemetery we noticed large portions of major roads being barricaded. Oscar asked a few people what was going on, thinking there was some sort of parade, it was New Years Day. What we found out was it was the beginning of the Dakar Road Rally. It started from the obelisk in the center of Buenos Aires and continued for 17 days through the mountains of Argentina and Chile. We saw many stories on the news for the remainder of our trip. It was fun watching the vehicles enter the city, there are different classes of vehicles, dirt bikes, ATVs, Gigantic All Terrain vehicles, etc.
And lastly one thing that left a lasting impression on me, and that I have serious withdrawal from is the COFFEE. (if you know me well, you had to see that coming!). The standard coffee drink is the cortado, a small very strong coffee with a dash of milk in it. Oh man is it good, and it's customary to use 2 packets of sugar...excellent! and usually comes with some sort of little treat, like a wee little meringue or a little cookie. Such a great thing, reminded me almost of the cortadito in Miami (which I also miss greatly and have tried to replicate). I had many of these coffees throughout the visit and across the board they were good. I was surprised to see several Starbucks in the city, in a place where coffee is so good I don't really see the need...but oh well. It is customary to have Cafe con Leche for breakfast though, regular brewed coffee with more milk, and cortados in the afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment