Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Swimming Lessons - Week Two

Luli has been attending her second week of swim lessons, and all seems to be positive. She's definitely excited to go and I can see progress on most things involving being on her tummy. Things on the back, well that's another story, back kicking and back floating are not going over very well. I happened to catch the experience of her learning to back float yesterday. I seriously laughed out loud, and thought "God bless Mr. Mike." He was so positive and encouraging with her and she could not have looked more like a spaz! I still crack up thinking about it, I had to re-enact the scene for Oscar last night (of course after the girls were in bed, I'm not going to mock my child). But you have to picture it, oh god if the camera were only waterproof, so Mr. Mike has Luli in the water and he's being really encouraging telling her to just lay her head back and put her feet in the water. YES, head AND feet are out of the water! So she has her head up and out with this scrunched up worried face, and her legs are sticking up out of the water pointing in jagged directions. She was so rigid I just couldn't help but laugh and think how she's clearly mine. Her lack of grace and fluid movement is a dead give away! I'll have to take a picture of me re-enacting the scene. But all the while Mr. Mike is telling her how great she's doing and how he's so proud of her and giving her high fives. I mean he was so great, in three years maybe she'll actually back float! HA!

Fiona is doing great. I hold my hands at water level now, just to catch her before her head goes under. She jumps so easily and loves it. She's also got a good swimming motion started when we go back to the wall for another jump. She likes to swim like a "fish" in the zero entrance area, and in the baby pool. This is when she floats and uses her hands to move her around (so her body is floating but her arms are straight down to the floor walking along). She seems to have a more natural ability for the pool, perhaps this is Oscar's trait for good athletics?

No comments: